Saturday, September 6, 2008

First Port - Brazil






Well, technically our first port was a little over a week ago when we picked up 700 students in The Bahamas, after departing from Norfolk, VA on Aug. 26. I was in the Bahamas long enough to get a really good cup of coffee from a Starbucks that I could see from my window, and to stick my toes in the water. We took a different route leaving the Bahamas, to avoid hurricanes and storms in the area, and had to refuel in Puerto Rico for 8 hours, in order to make it to Brazil. So for the faculty and staff, who have been aboard almost two weeks, and the students who've been in classes for one, we're all a bit anxious to get to our first port and touch ground. People on the ship who've sailed before say it's a bumpier ride than usual. I haven't felt 100% since we left Norfolk, but I'm trying to avoid the drugs and patches, so I've resorted to "exercises" such as shaking my head while staring at my finger. We'll see.


We crossed the equator two nights ago (Sept. 4), and celebrated Neptune Day on the ship yesterday (no classes!). There are some strange traditions affilitated with this rite of passage, including kissing a dead fish and getting your head shaved by the captain....about 80 faculty, staff and students in all. Back to normal with classes today (we have class every day while sailing) but the buzz is all about Brazil.
Pictures: Molly Sorice (the other ship librarian) at the counter, Cathy unpacking books, Molly, Julia and Joe (faculty from UVA) in the Bahamas, Cathy at a lifeboat drill, Cathy's room.